About the team
Flutter is the most popular multi-platform UI toolkit, with shipped support for iOS, Android, Web, Windows, macOS, and Linux. The team is constantly looking to improve fidelity on our supported platforms. To that end, we’re seeking software engineers to join our Android team.
About the position
In the “Android Engineer” role, you’ll be part of a team that makes Flutter on Android the absolute best it can be, including:
- Delivering outstanding performance.
- Delighting developers with a simple but powerful developer experience.
- Making Flutter feel “native” on Android (for example, by tying into system preferences and accessibility, or by integrating with native performance and memory profiling tools).
- Allowing seamless and efficient interoperability with native Android views and libraries.
- Encouraging the growth and quality of the Flutter Android plugin ecosystem on pub.dev.
- Nurturing a thriving community of contributions from open-source developers by reviewing GitHub pull requests (PRs).
Upon joining Google, you will be paired with a formal mentor, who will help guide you in the process of ramping up, forging relationships, and learning the systems you’ll need to do your job. Your manager can also help you find mentors who can coach you as you navigate your career at Google. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here on the Flutter team and at Google, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. In addition to groups like the Flutteristas, Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are employee-initiated networks for supporting underrepresented employees and their allies with shared values of creating belonging across their communities and Google.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Any Google office location, or fully remote in a timezone 3 hours behind or ahead of Pacific Standard Time (US West Coast).
- Simplify and improve the tooling required to build Flutter Android apps.
- Respond rapidly to Android platform updates (such as Android 12).
- Minimize the memory and file-size footprint required by Flutter Android apps.
- Improve the interoperability between Flutter apps and Java/Kotlin code.
- Streamline Flutter’s mechanism for embedding native Android views or communicating with native Android libraries.
- Maintain and improve Flutter’s core plugins (Ads, Maps, WebView, In-App Purchase) on Android.
Traits that will help you in this role
- Enjoys working in a team environment.
- Loves simple and elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Possesses a good sense of API design.
- Ability to see how things might fail in unexpected ways.
- Can efficiently navigate ambiguity by evaluating potential solutions and weighing pros and cons.
- Mobile software development experience
- Native Android application development experience across a variety of Android versions
- Experience with Android performance profiling and memory tooling
- Experience with Android build systems (such as Gradle)
Please apply by filling out the following form.