About the team
Flutter is the most popular multi-platform UI toolkit, with shipped support for iOS, Android, Web, Windows, MacOS, and Linux. The team is continuously innovating in the app development space by improving on performance, fidelity, and developer experience. Nearly half a million apps have been released that use Flutter, so the team has a direct role in improving the lives of developers across the world.
About the position
In the “Android Technical Lead” role, you’ll be a key technical member of the team that makes Flutter the absolute best it can be on Android. You will directly execute on critical strategic efforts, while also helping to set the technical direction of the team. General areas under the team’s purview include:
- Building partnerships with the Android team to ensure that new Android features are easily and seamlessly integrated with Flutter.
- Solving the unique challenges of some of the largest Android apps in the world, including enabling lightweight incremental adoption of Flutter.
- Enabling developers to build a robust ecosystem of Android-enabled Flutter plugins by working towards more seamless interoperability between Flutter and Android.
- Delving into performance and C++/JNI to ensure that Flutter really impresses on Android.
- Embracing a leadership role and working directly with customers to identify their biggest needs of Flutter on Android.
- Improving developer experience to delight Android developers with the ease of development for Flutter.
Upon joining Google, you will be paired with a formal mentor, who will help guide you in the process of ramping up, forging relationships, and learning the systems you’ll need to do your job. Your manager can also help you find mentors who can coach you as you navigate your career at Google. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here on the Flutter team and at Google, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. In addition to groups like the Flutteristas, Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are employee-initiated networks for supporting underrepresented employees and their allies with shared values of creating belonging across their communities and Google.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Any Google office location in a timezone 3 hours behind or ahead of Pacific Standard Time (US West Coast).
We are looking for a senior engineer who is not only interested in depth but also a wide breadth of interesting projects. Responsibilities include:
- Designing innovative improvements to the Flutter Android embedding – to enable lower memory and file-size footprints required by Flutter Android apps, or to improve the interoperability between Flutter apps and Java/Kotlin code.
- Simplifying and improving the tooling required to build Flutter Android apps.
- Responding rapidly to Android platform updates (e.g. Android 12), and partnering with the Android team to plan for platform updates early in the development cycle.
- Streamlining Flutter’s mechanism for embedding native Android views.
- Maintaining and improving Flutter’s core plugins (e.g. Ads, Maps, WebView, In-App Purchase) on Android.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience with software development in one or more programming languages.
- 3 years of experience with native Android application development across a variety of Android versions.
- Experience with Android performance profiling and memory tooling.
- Experience with Android build systems (e.g. Gradle).
- Experience with the Android graphics pipeline.
- Experience with the Android NDK and JNI.
Please apply by filling out the following form.