About the team
Flutter is Google’s new cross-platform UI toolkit that lets designers and developers craft beautiful, native apps for Android, iOS, desktop and web from a single code base. Flutter is poised to change how people build apps, and we’ve seen explosive growth over the last couple of years, leading us to continue to expand our team. Flutter is one of Google’s most significant open source contributions, and is one of the top 10 software repos on GitHub.
Flutter is a well-funded project, and is the magic sauce behind some of Google’s most strategic products including Google Nest Hub, Google Pay, Stadia, Ads, and Classroom. Externally, it’s used by nearly 400,000 apps from companies and brands including WeChat, eBay, Alibaba, Sonos, SHEIN, ByteDance and PUBG.
Flutter UX is a diverse and high-performing group of individuals deeply embedded in Flutter’s development process. We have a track record of publicly advocating for developer UX through official blog posts, YouTube videos, and academic publications. Flutter UX is also one of the founding teams of a Google-wide community for advancing human-centered design in programming tools.
Upon joining Google, you will be paired with a formal mentor, who will help guide you in the process of ramping up, forging relationships, and learning the systems you’ll need to do your job. Your manager can also help you find mentors who can coach you as you navigate your career at Google. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here on the Flutter team and at Google, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. In addition to groups like the Flutteristas, Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are employee-initiated networks for supporting underrepresented employees and their allies with shared values of creating belonging across their communities and Google.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Preferred locations: Mountain View, Seattle, Portland, or New York City. This job is eligible for remote working within the US or Canada.
- Create prototypes that exercise different parts of the Flutter tech stack and ecosystem
- Evaluate the potential and feasibility of building new SDK capabilities through analyzing app development experiences and artifacts (e.g., source code).
- Design and implement experimental features as Flutter/Dart packages or IDE plugins to facilitate concept validation and product design
- Interface between and collaborate with Flutter/Dart engineers and cross-functional stakeholders as the technical liaison.
- Collaborate with UX researchers and other roles on the team in the process of generative research (e.g., participatory design workshops with developers)
Among other initiatives, this role will help kick-start an “Experiments with Flutter” program. It aims at driving the evolution of Flutter’s API and tooling through prototyping novel and ambitious UX.
You must meet these minimum qualifications to apply for this job.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, HCI, Design, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience in a technical, UX, or design environment.
- Experience with development on mobile platforms.
Having as many of these specific qualifications is a plus, but transferable skills/experiences may be equally valuable.
- Passion for the developer tools and SDK space.
- Experience in prototyping with Flutter & Dart (or an interest in learning them on the job).
- Experience in developing VS Code or IntelliJ plugins.
- Experience in contributing to UI frameworks or authoring tools.
- Experience advocating for user-centered design through prototyping and cross-functional collaboration.
Please apply by filling out the following form.