About the team
Flutter is the most popular multi-platform UI toolkit, with shipped support for iOS, Android, Web, Windows, macOS, and Linux. The team is continuously innovating in the app development space by improving on performance, fidelity, and developer experience.
The Flutter Ecosystem team is responsible for the quality of the Google-owned Flutter plugins and for the mechanism by which the Flutter framework communicates with plugins. With over 500,000 apps built with Flutter and thousands of plugins in existence, this team plays a critical role in Flutter’s success.
About the position
We are looking for an engineer who is passionate about creating software for other developers. A commitment to teamwork, initiative, and strong communication skills are a must.
As an engineer on the Flutter Ecosystem team, you will:
- Improve the features, APIs, and implementations of highly ranked Flutter plugins such as Maps, WebView, Video Player, Camera, In-App Purchase, and Ads.
- Advance cross-language communication in order to provide a highly optimized and developer-friendly pathway between Dart and system-native languages.
- Nurture a thriving community of contributions from open-source developers by reviewing GitHub issues and pull requests (PRs).
Upon joining Google, you will be paired with a formal mentor, who will help guide you in the process of ramping up, forging relationships, and learning the systems you’ll need to do your job. Your manager can also help you find mentors who can coach you as you navigate your career at Google. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here on the Flutter team and at Google, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. In addition to groups like the Flutteristas, Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are employee-initiated networks for supporting underrepresented employees and their allies with shared values of creating belonging across their communities and Google.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Any Google office location, or fully remote in a timezone 3 hours behind or ahead of Pacific Standard Time (US West Coast).
- Sustain and improve the Flutter plugin APIs, documentation, and implementation.
- Work with the platform teams (Android, iOS, web, Windows, macOS, and Linux) to ensure that Flutter presents a unified set of plugin APIs and a sane feature matrix across all platforms.
- Streamline Flutter’s mechanism for communicating between Dart and platform-native languages (e.g. Java, Kotlin, ObjC, Swift, C++).
- Work with Flutter’s open source community by reviewing issues and pull requests and by mentoring developers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Software development experience in one or more general-purpose programming languages.
- Experience with Flutter or other popular UI toolkits.
- Experience with application development on one of Flutter’s supported platforms (Android, iOS, web, Windows, macOS, Linux).
- Experience contributing to an open source project.
- Experience working in a team environment.
Please apply by filling out the following form.