If you would like to embed Flutter engine into a car, a refrigerator, a thermostat… you CAN! For example, you might embed Flutter in the following situations:
- Using Flutter on an “embedded device”, typically a low-powered hardware device such as a smart-display, a thermostat, or similar.
- Embedding Flutter into a new operating system or environment, for example a new mobile platform or a new operating system.
The ability to embed Flutter, while stable, uses low-level API and is not for beginners. In addition to the resources listed below, you might consider joining Discord, where Flutter developers (including Google engineers) discuss various aspects of Flutter. The Flutter community page has info on more community resources.
- Custom Flutter Engine Embedders, on the Flutter wiki.
- The doc comments in the
embedder.hfile on GitHub.
- The Flutter architectural overview on docs.flutter.dev.
- A small, self-contained Flutter Embedder Engine GLFW example in the Flutter engine GitHub repo.
- An exploration into embedding Flutter in a terminal by implementing Flutter’s custom embedder API.
- Issue 31043: Questions for porting flutter engine to a new os might also be helpful.